The most used tool in the kitchen is also the most neglected. Some end up in the dishwasher, thrown in drawers, and/or are tossed into the sink wedged between pots and dishes. If this leads to wondering why knives are dull when the onion, steak, or potato needs to be sliced, wonder no more. Each time a knife blade comes in contact with a surface, hard or soft, it begins to dull the edge. Care for the most important item in the kitchen, and it will be reflected in the food that it cuts.
- in a knife block
- with sheathes in a drawer
- specialty knife drawer insert
- magnetic wall holder
Cleaning knife basics:
- warm, soapy water
- knife edge not against the sponge or scrubber
- if knife needs to be soaked, do so in an individual container without other items (we use a large yogurt container that leans against the sink wall if a large knife is soaking)
- dry by hand, return to knife holder, sheath and/or drawer
- DO NOT ALLOW BLADES TO BUMP OTHER ITEMS IN A DRYING RACK
- if not washing immediately, lay knives on counter in place where the blades cannot bang into other kitchen items
And of course, if knives are going to be cared for, then a good set or individually purchased knives are called for. If just starting to outfit a kitchen, or in need of an update, knives can be purchased in utilitarian sets or bought individually. A starter set is just that-it will give a well-rounded set of cutters that serve many purposes. Specialty knives can be added over time. Who needs an oyster shucker day one?
These are sets that offer an assortment of knives that would be used for frequent types of cutting needs. We have knives that have come in block sets and we have knives that have been purchased for special purposes. Knife length for paring and chef’s knives are based primarily on comfort level of the user, how the knife sits in the hand, and the level of control that the knife-user has over the tool. A set is a place to start or a means of having a variety of knives for different uses for not too much expense. Individual knives can run as much as an entire set—again, amount spent, the purpose and the comfort level will dictate what is in a user’s kitchen.
Cared for quality knives can last for years.
Chef’ and Paring Knives in use:
Assortment of knife sets available from Amazon Prime:
Individual knives (approximate cost $30-160)